Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Take Back The Tech - Information and Communication Technologies for Development


"Take Back The Tech" is a viral marketing campaign reclaiming technology to end violence against women. It is an initiative of the APC Women's Networking Support Programme (APC WNSP), supporting women networking for social change, through the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). The success of the campaign depends on the participation of journalists, webmasters and bloggers making the decision to support the campaign on their own Web sites. ICT4D practitioners, webmasters, NGOs, get involved!

This example of online activism, using ICTs to serve Human Development, is very interesting. Such a campaign experiments and shows how to use concretely latest Web technologies such as bookmarks, RSS feeds, viral marketing, blogs, advanced media tool kits - including the ability to localize the campaign - and more to bring social positive changes.

Articles, postcards, podcasts, blogs, a wide range of local actions are supporting the campaign: In Uganda, a SMS campaign called "Speak out! Stand Out!" is organized by WOUGNET to collect messages against violence against women. In Quebec, feminists and communication rights activists are creating short video clips and comic postcards to protest violence against women. In Malaysia, Burmese refugees are making online audio defending women's rights.

As shown by Take Back the Take, Web tools, including viral marketing, Web 2.0 services and even web advertising programs are now more and more used by Development organizations and practitioners to build up sensitization campaigns, recruit new volunteers, find funds and promote their own projects. In somehow, "Take Back the Tech" illustrates a more mature Internet era, in which non profits and Human Development organizations are starting to take full benefits of the technology to promote their actions.


-dgCommunities

3 comments:

Ghatozkat said...

Hey,
I was browsing nepalese blogs from www.bloggers.com.np when I reached your blog. Nice blog!

I am also a Nepalese and run a blog. My blog can be reached at www.beginearning.com

Will you be kind enough to visit my blog at www.beginearning.com. If you don't like it, I won't bother you next time.

If you want to exchange links with my blog, send me a message from the "Contact" section in my blog.
Thanks,
Ghatozkat

Ghatozkat said...

Hey,
I was browsing nepalese blogs from www.bloggers.com.np when I reached your blog. Nice blog!

I am also a Nepalese and run a blog. My blog can be reached at www.beginearning.com

Will you be kind enough to visit my blog at www.beginearning.com. If you don't like it, I won't bother you next time.

If you want to exchange links with my blog, send me a message from the "Contact" section in my blog.
Thanks,
Ghatozkat

Anonymous said...

I ADAMS KEVIN, a representative of Aiico Insurance plc, we trust and respect for individual differences in day out a loan. We will provide 2% of the loan's interest rate. If you are interested in this business contact us by e-mail (adams.credi@gmail.com) now transfer their loan documents issued properly. Do you need a loan to set up business or school if you are very welcome to aiico insurance plc.you can also contact us by email(aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) we first week can request a balance transfer.

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।